Tuesday, December 2, 2008

From Bowling to Ballet

I had read about Grand Central Bowl awhile back and learned that they had updated the place with electronic artwork, for one thing. So I selected it for my Exploring Portland group to go to. Julie Skinner was the only one to attend with me.
I turned out that their website said the place opens at 11 a.m., but in truth it opens at 11:30 a.m., so we went walking to find a place for coffee.
We found the Grand Jete Cafe, 510 SE Morrison. Inside was a decor to follow the name - ballet figurines, wall hangings and a lovely wall painting of a dancer in mid flight of a grand jete. I then studied the bodies of the customers and saw that most looked like ballet dancers. I chatted with the barista and learned that the Oregon Ballet Theatre was a few blocks away. It all made sense then!!







I had the berry scone. It was good, but not as good as Julie's choice.



Julie ordered the almond croissant. I had eaten one recently, so didn't get one, but should have. It was twice the size of the one I got from, Nuvrei, the bakery that makes them!! I think maybe they sell their 'runts' at their shop and their commercial clients get the good ones....
Julie Skinner and I located the Oregon Ballet Theatre a block away from the coffee shop. We walked in and spoke with the receptionist and ogled the dancers who were nearby.

This statue is in the area just outside of the rehearsal halls. Dancers were on their breaks and sitting around the space. They were rehearsing for The Nutcracker. I decided not to take their picture out of courtesy, although it would have made a great shot to see them around this art piece.