Sunday, November 9, 2008

Where's Molly?

October 30th, Robert and I joined others for Albertina Kerr Centers 101st Board of Directors Annual Meeting and Community Awards at the Governor Hotel Ballroom. My Master's Degree is in Special Education, so you can believe that I appreciated hearing about the selected people they were honoring. Each received large, attractive ceramic plates that were made by clients.

Keynote speaker was Jeff Daly who at age 6 asked his parents, "Where's Molly?" referring to his younger sister who disappeared from his young life when Molly was just shy of 3 years old. His parents refused to talk about her and 47 years later Jeff finally learned the family secret. Molly had been sent to Fairview Training Center because her doctor thought that was the best place for her since she was retarded. Jeff, a director and fim maker, filmed his odyssey of learning the truth.
I had meant to see the film when it was shown during Portland Film Festival a few years ago and also while at The Living Room Theater. I never did. You can't find it at Netflix or video rental stores for some reason. But this day I purchased two copies. Let me know if you want to borrow one. You might even want to buy a copy. Incidentally, Molly was there for a short while at the event.


We did have a nice salad.